Number of students that will benefit: Potentially 1,000+
Age of students: 11-16
Percentage eligible for free school meals: 12.5%
We are a digital pioneer secondary school based in Swansea, the only one of its kind in this area. This is an amazing opportunity for our staff and pupils to develop programming skills through interactive, physical use of technologies as a tool to enhance learning.
What do we want?
Gowerton were given a set of Microbits from the BBC as an initiative to help all Year 7 pupils develop coding last year. The pupils found them easy to use and fun to programme. The Sphero devices can develop these skills further and allow for a similar coding interface that the pupils will be familiar with. We would like to buy a class set of Sphero programmable robots and iPads that have Bluetooth connectivity in order to use them.
Who is this for?
Initially this will be used within Computer Studies lessons in order to test their capabilities and then we will provide training for staff to incorporate it into their lessons. From researching the Sphero and its properties it was easy to see how they could be effective in other lessons including:
- Mathematics - programming to detect areas of shapes and spaces, rotating calculators or identifying types of triangles
- Art - creating abstract images as they can be dipped in paint or water
- Science - programming the Sphero to measure time, speed and distance or orbiting the Spheros to create a solar system
- PSE - discussion through hot potato programming
- ALN / SEN - Pupils can use their fingers to draw on the iPad in order to programme
- P.E - programming to be used in hockey scoring
- Design and Technology - incorporated into a design e.g. car in order to move around
Why do we want it?
The technology will be used in a variety of subjects to allow the pupils to develop transferable skills to prepare them for the world of work. At Gowerton, we want to give our pupils the absolute best chance of a bright future and we recognise that in today's society technology plays a huge role in developing that.
How the money will be spent!
- 1 x Apple 9.7" iPad - 32GB @ £319 https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/apple-9-7-ipad-32-gb-space-grey-2018-10178839-pdt.html
- 6 x Spheros (Half dozen education kit) @ £799 https://store.sphero.com/collections/education/products/half-dozen-kit-education
- Chargeable case @ £299 https://store.sphero.com/collections/education/products/lockncharge-charging-case
Total = £1,417 (incl VAT)
If we're fortunate enough to raise more than our target, then we would like to buy more iPads and Spheros to have a full class set or be able to share them around the school.
Ideally we would like to buy 1 iPad to every Sphero in order for pupils to actively see their programming in action. The iPads cost £319 each, so would need to raise a further £1,595 in order for this to happen.
A set of 12 Spheros would allow the pupils to be able to learn programming with the support of a partner, rather than a group or club. They can actively be used within lessons on a regular basis as there would be enough to teach a class of 25-30 with. An extra set of 6 Spheros would require a further amount of £799.
Total stretch target = £2,394
Please help us to reach or target and even stretch it to provide one per pair of pupils!
HELP US REACH OUR TARGET!
Please do donate - even £1 will help us towards our goal, but if you can't donate right now you can help us in other ways! Share this project with anyone you think would support us. Share the link at the top of the page on Twitter, Facebook, email, your website, blog, mention us in a phone call or even just a chat over the fence! Please support us and help make a difference to our pupils.