Number of students that will benefit: 70
Age of students: 11-16
Percentage eligible for free school meals: 100%
Windlestone is a special school for children with complex emotional, social and behavioural difficulties. We are a lively and busy school in an environment that requires much improvement. Currently there is nowhere pupils can go to try and regulate their own emotions. The sensory room would provide this safe space for them to chill out, fiddle with stress toys and also include work stations that encourage them to try and engage in work ready to re-join the classroom. The room will link into a weekly group called Emoji Club that includes mindfulness, breathing techniques, sleep strategies and chill out tools. It will have lights, sensory toys, beanbags and cushions and be a place where a calmness immediately comes over you. Pupils will be encouraged to go there to relax, reduce their anxiety and regulate their breathing.
What do we want?
We want to transform an empty classroom into an amazing sensory/chill out room that children and young people can use to regulate their emotions with an aim to re-join their peers in class and complete their work. Somewhere where they can practice mindfulness, Relax Kids and anger management strategies. The room is currently under-used and under-resourced; there are a couple of tables and a computer but nothing that is nurturing or calming for them to use to regulate their own emotions.
Who is this for?
This is for our whole school so every child has the opportunity to regulate their own emotions and manage themselves better, providing them with life-long skills and improving their mental health and emotional well-being. This will have a huge impact on the whole school and the behaviour of all of the pupils in and out of school. Being able to practice breathing and relaxation skills in a safe environment will help them to be able to transfer those skills to a college or work placement.
Why do we want it?
It will reduce the amount of violent and aggressive incidents and improve communication between pupils and pupils and staff. They will be better behaved in the community and there will hopefully be less incidents of anti-social behaviour. Pupils will be able to regulate themselves reducing the amount of adult intervention and take ownership for their own behaviour. It will be a space other special and mainstream schools will want to come and see and incorporate into their setting.
WHERE YOUR MONEY GOES
We want this list of items to fill in the room:
- 1x Sensory black out tent - Amazon @ £101.99
- 4 x Plasticine - FunTUBulous Multi-colour - Amazon @ £8.45
- 1 x Tobar Starlight Projector - Amazon @ £4.75
- 1 x Fansteck anti-stress balls - Amazon 4pc @ £13.99
- 3 x Fidget cubes for kids - Amazon @ £10.99
- 3 x Mutsataz 48 pc colour gel inks - Amazon @ £8.49
- 3 x Staedtler 185 C24 Noris Colouring Pencil - Amazon @ £3.50
- 2 x Desire Deluxe Emoticon Emoti pillow tongue - Amazon @ £8.99
- 3 x TLC mat soft foam play mat Amazon @ £17.20
- 1 x Bastelbar 10,000 iron beads kit - Amazon @ £10.50
- 1 x Premium Friendship bracelet maker - Amazon @ £19.97
- 1 x Playlearn set of 4 liquid floor tiles - Amazon @ £89.99
- 1 x E-bestar outdoor and indoor hammock - Amazon @ £38.99
- 1 x Playlearn fibre optic colour changing lamp - Amazon @ £7.95
- 1 x Music for SPA and therapy rooms CD - Amazon @ £9.95
- 1 x Lenco SCD-24 Portable stereo boombox - Amazon @ £34.99
- 1 x Blackboard paint 500ml - Amazon @ £9.30
- 6 x Colouring books - Amazon @ £8.00
- 1 x Tianya Colourful creative Aroma humidifier - Amazon @ £11.33
- 2 x Coogam puzzle cube - Amazon @ £9.99
- 1 x Pass the pigs dice game - Amazon @ £7.26
- 1 x 3 up 3 down card game - Amazon @ £10.95
- 1 x Hasbro gaming connect 4 - Amazon @ £7.99
- 1 x Lagoon what am I? game - Amazon @ £8.72
- 1 x Baffle puzzle - Amazon @ £7.79
- 1 x The Gro Company anywhere portable blackout blind - Amazon @ £22.49
- 1 x Bubble lamp - TTS EY05382 @ £383.94 inc VAT
If we're fortunate enough to raise more than our target, then we would also like to buy Safespace: a room within a room @ £5,775, so any extra funds would go towards this item.
HELP US REACH OUR TARGET!
Please do donate, but if you can't donate right now you can help us in other ways! Share this project with anyone you think would support us. Share the link at the top of the page on Twitter, Facebook, email, your website, blog, mention us in a phone call or even just a chat over the fence! Please support us and help make a difference to our students.